This is the no eggs, no butter cake youve been looking for. Its high in fibre and energy, low in saturated fat and tastes delicious.
The ingredient of Fruit and pecan carrot cake
- Canola oil or macadamia oil, for greasing pan
- 2 medium (250g) carrots
- 3 oranges
- 400g (1 cup) honey
- 85g (1/2 cup) raisins
- 95g (1/2 cup) chopped dried figs
- 240g (1 1/2 cups) wholemeal plain flour
- 75g (1/2 cup) white self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 100g (1 cup) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 125mls (1/2 cup) canola oil or macadamia oil
- 18 (30g) pecan nuts, extra, to decorate
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 5 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
The instruction how to make Fruit and pecan carrot cake
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Brush a 22cm springform pan with the oil to grease. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Peel the carrots and grate coarsely (you should have about 2 cups of grated carrot). Finely grate the rind of 1 orange. Juice all the oranges. Combine the grated carrot, orange rind, 185mls (3/4 cup) of the orange juice, honey, raisins and figs in a medium saucepan. Bring .to the boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a heat-resistant bowl and stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, to cool slightly.
- Sift together the wholemeal plain flour, white self-raising flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl and return the bran left in the sifter to the flour. Stir in the pecans and then make a well in the centre. Stir the oil into the carrot mixture. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes before removing the outside of the pan and cooling on a wire rack. Before turning off the oven, scatter the extra pecans over a baking tray and cook for 5-10 minutes or until toasted. Remove and cool on the tray.
- To make the ricotta topping, place the ricotta, icing sugar and vanilla essence in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Spread ricotta topping evenly over the top and sides of the cooled cake and decorate with the toasted pecans.
Nutritions of Fruit and pecan carrot cakecalories: 505.485 calories
calories: 22 grams fat
calories: 4 grams saturated fat
calories: 66 grams carbohydrates
calories: 48 grams sugar
calories: 9 grams protein
calories: 18 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 593.64 milligrams sodium