Add some spice to your life with this hearty and spicy chilli con chicken dish, care of Curtis Stone.
The ingredient of Green chilli con chicken
- 1/5 bunch fresh coriander
- 500g Coles RSPCA Approved chicken thigh fillets, fat removed
- 1 medium brown onion (145g), cut into large pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno chilli, seeded (if desired), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 spring onion, green tops coarsely chopped and white bottoms thinly sliced
- 15g (3 teaspoons) Lucky brand pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon Coles brand ground cumin
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/6 small drumhead cabbage, shredded (about 1 loosely packed cup)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed shredded Coles brand tasty cheese, from a 250g block
The instruction how to make Green chilli con chicken
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Separate the coriander into 3 separate parts: the tough bottom stems, tender stems with leaves attached and a few leaves for garnish.
- Rinse the chicken thighs and season with salt and pepper. In a heavy pot, combine the chicken, 2 2/3 cups of water, half of the brown onion, two garlic cloves, and the tough bottom stems from the coriander. Bring the liquid to a boil over medium-high heat, spooning off the scum that comes to the surface. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 50 minutes, or until the chicken pulls apart easily. Cool slightly. Discard the vegetables and shred the chicken by hand. Return the chicken to the broth and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, to make the chilli puree, on a heavy baking tray, toss the jalapeno, remaining brown onion, and remaining garlic clove with the oil. Roast for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables soften and begin to caramelise. Add the green spring onion top and pumpkin seeds to the vegetables and continue roasting for about 5 minutes, or until the seeds are toasted.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the cumin, lemon juice, and reserved tender stems and leaves of coriander, and puree, adding enough of the chicken broth to form a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, stir the chilli puree into the chicken mixture. Bring the chilli to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced by one-quarter and slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt. Ladle the chilli into bowls, garnish with the cabbage, cheese, sliced white spring onions, and reserved coriander leaves, and serve.
Nutritions of Green chilli con chickencalories: