Sweet and juicy poached pears star on top of this beautifully moist spiced cake.
The ingredient of Pear & ginger cake
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 lemon, rind peeled, juiced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 William Bartlett pears, peeled, halved
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150g butter, melted, cooled
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- Apricot jam, warmed, to brush
The instruction how to make Pear & ginger cake
- Preheat oven to 180u00baC. Line base and side of a round 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place water, caster sugar, lemon rind and juice, and cinnamon stick in a saucepan over medium heat and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Add pear. Cover surface with non-stick baking paper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pear is tender. Transfer pear to a plate. Set aside to cool completely. Core the pears then thinly slice, leaving the stem end intact.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, brown sugar, ginger and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk in butter, egg and milk. Pour into pan.
- Arrange the pear on top of the cake. Bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool before turning onto a serving plate. Brush with apricot jam.
Nutritions of Pear & ginger cakecalories: 502.856 calories
calories: 18 grams fat
calories: 11 grams saturated fat
calories: 77 grams carbohydrates
calories: 56 grams sugar
calories: 7 grams protein
calories: 125 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 349.09 milligrams sodium