For extra crispy crackling start this recipe 2 days in advance to allow enough time to air dry the pork in the fridge. Recipe by Curtis Stone.
The ingredient of Crispy roast pork with mulled apples
- 1 Coles Australian Pork Leg Roast Bone In (about 3kg), rind on
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (flakes preferred)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 60g baby rocket leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks or quills
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 6 cups (1.5L) apple cider or apple juice
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar, divided
- 4 Fuji apples
The instruction how to make Crispy roast pork with mulled apples
- To prepare pork, one day before cooking, using a sharp knife or box cutter, deepen scoring on rind and extend existing scoring so that all of rind is scored. Be sure to cut through rind and fat until you reach meat (donu2019t cut through meat). Refrigerate pork, uncovered, for at least 12 hours and up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
- To roast pork, preheat oven to 250C (230C fan-forced). Rub sea salt into scored rind. Season cut side of pork with salt and place pork, cut-side down, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast pork for 30 mins or until rind is crisp and golden. Reduce oven temperature to 160C (140C fan-forced), and roast for 2u00bd hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into centre of pork registers 65C. Transfer pork to a carving board and set aside for 20 mins to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make mulled apples, heat a large pot over high heat. Add cinnamon, star anise and cloves and stir for 3 mins or until fragrant. Add cider or apple juice and u00bd cup (110g) sugar and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Peel, halve and core apples. Gently ease apples into warm liquid in the pot. Cover liquid with a round of baking paper and bring to gentle simmer. Place a heavy plate over baking paper to keep apples submerged. Simmer apples over low heat for 5-10 mins or until tender. Remove from heat and let apples cool in poaching liquid.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Spread remaining 1/2 cup (110g) sugar on a plate. Remove apples from poaching liquid, reserving the liquid. Pat apples dry with paper towel. Dip apples, cut-side down, into sugar. Repeat to dip apples again. Cook, cut-side down, in frying pan for 30 secs or until caramelised. Remove from frying pan.
- In a bowl, whisk lemon juice and 1 1/2 tablespoons of reserved poaching liquid. Add rocket and toss to coat. Scatter rocket onto a platter. Top with pork and apples and serve.
Nutritions of Crispy roast pork with mulled applescalories: 501.9 calories
calories: 22 grams fat
calories: 8 grams saturated fat
calories: 20 grams carbohydrates
calories: 19 grams sugar
calories: 54 grams protein
calories: 1237 milligrams sodium