Weve given the classic vanilla slice the Neapolitan treatment and turned it into a colourful cake. This is a retro revisited dessert recipe the whole family will love.
The ingredient of Neapolitan vanilla slice cake
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, just thawed
- 10 egg yolks
- 270g (1 1/4 cups) caster sugar
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
- 50g (1/3 cup) cornflour
- 1L (4 cups) milk
- 600ml ctn thickened cream
- 80g butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 6 (10g total) gelatine leaves (see tip)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon strawberry essence
- Red food colouring, to tint
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 195g (1 1/4 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 20g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon boiling water, plus 1-2 teaspoons, extra
- Red food colouring, to tint
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
The instruction how to make Neapolitan vanilla slice cake
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place a sheet of pastry on each tray and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Turn and cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the other side is crisp and golden. Cover the pastry with a clean tea towel and press down gently to flatten. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining pastry.
- To make the custard, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl until well combined and slightly pale. Whisk in the flours. Combine the milk and cream in a large saucepan. Bring just to the boil over medium heat. Whisking constantly, gradually pour the milk mixture over the egg yolk mixture, until well combined. Wash and dry the pan. Transfer the egg mixture to the clean pan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until thick (donu2019t let the mixture come to the boil). Remove from the heat, add the butter and stir until melted and combined. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl. Cover with cold water. Set aside for 5 minutes or until soft. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine and add to the hot custard. Stir until gelatine dissolves. Divide the custard evenly among 3 heatproof bowls. Stir the vanilla extract into 1 portion. Stir the strawberry essence and a few drops of red food colouring into another portion to make it pink. Sift the cocoa powder over the last portion and stir to combine. Set aside, stirring each bowl occasionally, until cooled to room temperature.
- Using the base of a 20cm springform pan as a guide, cut a round of pastry from each puff pastry sheet. Release the base of the pan. Line the base with baking paper, allowing a 4cm overhang. Secure the base, paper side up, back in the pan. Grease the side of the pan and line with baking paper, allowing the paper to come 2cm above the side.
- Place 1 pastry round in the prepared pan. Top with the chocolate custard and spread evenly. Top with another pastry round and the vanilla custard. Top with another pastry round and the strawberry custard. Place the remaining pastry round on top. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight to set.
- For the icing, place the icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Pour the boiling water over the butter. Stir until melted and smooth, adding the extra boiling water, if required. Divide icing among 3 bowls. Add a little red food colouring to 1 portion and stir to tint it pink. Stir the cocoa into another portion.
- Release the side of the pan and carefully transfer the cake to a serving platter. Spread the white icing evenly over the top. Drizzle with the 2 remaining icings (adding a few drops of water to thin, if necessary). Set aside to set.
Nutritions of Neapolitan vanilla slice cakecalories: